Letter from Melissa Gacek
This is why I coach! Thanks for the letter Melissa.
See you on the roads
It's not just about the destination, but finding the joy in the journey.
Tonight I wanted to thank you, my amazing support team, as I train for my 2:40 marathoner club card this fall and Olympic Trials qualifier by next year. Just did my first Ragnar event after being on winning/record setting Hood to Coast teams. I've never felt this good after any relay. This was a very humid hot weekend, ran well over 26 miles, and had some crazy hard technical, hilly and long legs and I'm totally a fair weather girl, so prob could have run much faster in temps of 45's/50's. Nevertheless, I want to thank all of you for your part in this. While I honestly suffered moments of the legs, I gained some valuable mental and physical training to really toughen me for the fall marathon, and also love the bring it at the end, ramp it up, find a new gear, go even harder and finish strong, beast mode.
1) Ron Byland: Intense, smart, proven coaching program from Mile to Marathon, has been mentally and physically tough, but paying off for being able to bounce back, can't wait to see what could happen in Oct with cooler temps and a taper. Always there to help, great advice, sounding board. Great, wise partner in this journey!
2) Luke Carlson/Discover Strength: Lifting at DS, working thru Project Discover, esp on tough workout days. After yucky injuries in my early years, you have been my healthy safety net for 2 Olympic Trials, 5 pregnancies and hundreds of races, thousands of miles. I might feel awful at failure during workouts esp after hard runs, but finding that extra gear to bring it pays off. And it helps me be a strong mom who can lift boat anchors, toddlers, baby joggers, groceries, whatever it takes.
3) CarboPro: Following protocol during race from Carbo Pro: Meta Salt, Recovery, VO2 Max, Stamina, carboPro mixed with HydraC5. Great products can't wait to try the new green stuff! Always using Interphase during training too, yummo. And sending product just in time before big event this week. TY!!!
4) Oiselle: I've raced (and train) wearing amazing performance apparel and finding beast mode during some dark moments! Plus I wear these clothes everywhere bc they are that beautiful. Oiselle to me is sisterhood, passion, fem fierce, girl power, helps my channel my purpose.
5) Feetures (socks): Going thru 7 pairs of socks for Ragnar and ending with no blisters, feet felt amazing/compression socks so helpful btwn legs. Love the fabric, ultra thin weight and technical design and amazing colors. Happy feet are very important.
6) Run n Fun. For always having the gear I need, and being so supportive for 2 decades! I have worn Dozens+ of Asics Gel Kayanos, Asics DS Racers, reflective vests, LD lights, Gels, GU's...I've counted on RNF since my college days for my shoes and have always had major success. Staff knows their stuff.
And last, Luke, you for the invite to Ragnar and Liz Martin for driving a huge majority and still running like a badass, keeping team stats, handling the details and totally spoiling me (us) so I (we) could focus on going as hard as I could.
Guess I need to start blogging cause I just can't say all this on FB or twitter....
Thank you and think it's so important that you know you are all loved and appreciated.
Dehydration and its effects on performance
With warmer weather finally here and for most runners/triathletes our racing season is kicking into high gear. This warmer weather will increase the chance of losing that PR due to improper dehydration. Following is a couple of brief paragraphs relating to the performance loss due to hydration written by Asker Jeukendrupp and Micheal Gleeson. So as we head out door for our longest runs/rides and races, think about what and when you going to replace your fluids to ensure you are going to performance at your PR capabilities.
Fatigue toward the end of a prolonged sporting event may result as much from dehydration as from fuel substrate depletion. Exercise performance is impaired when an individual is dehydrated by as little as 2% of body weight. Losses in excess of 5% of body weight can decrease the capacity for work by about 30% (Armstrong et al. 1985; Craig and Cummings 1966; Maughan 1991; Sawka and Pandolf 1990).
Even in cool laboratory conditions, maximal aerobic power ( .VO2max) decreases by about 5% when persons experience fluid losses equivalent to 3% of body mass or more, as is shown in figure 8.6 (Pinchan et al. 1988). In hot conditions, similar water deficits can cause a larger decrease in .VO2max. The endurance capacity during incremental exercise is decreased by marginal dehydration (fluid loss of 1% to 2% of body weight), even if water deficits do not actually result in a decrease in .VO2max. Endurance capacity is impaired much more in hot environments than in cool conditions, which implies that impaired thermoregulation is an important causal factor in the reduced exercise performance associated with a body-water deficit. Dehydration also impairs endurance exercise performance. Fluid loss equivalent to 2% of body mass induced by a diuretic drug (furosemide) caused running performance at 1,500, 5,000, and 10,000 m distances to be impaired (Armstrong et al. 1985). Running performance was impaired more at the longer distances (by approximately 5% at 5,000 and 10,000 m) compared with the shortest distance (approximately 3% at 1,500 m).
The main reasons dehydration has an adverse effect on exercise performance can be summarized as follows:
• Reduction in blood volume
• Decreased skin blood flow
• Decreased sweat rate
• Decreased heat dissipation
• Increased core temperature
• Increased rate of muscle glycogen
Here is the link to read the full study. http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/dehydration-and-its-effects-on-performanceuse
See you on the roads
It's Announcement Week! Here's #2
Mile To Marathon athletes will be pleased to know they will be well taken care of, not only with the help of Dr. Steven Moe of Accelerated Performance Clinic in Eden Prairie, MN but also with generous discounted pricing! I have worked with and have sent numerous athletes to Dr. Moe for several years and have had tremendous results working with him. Dr. Moe has worked with Jim Thome of the Minnesota Twins, Dick Beardsley - record holder of Grandmas Marathon, Craig Waryan - PGA Master Professional along with countless other athletes.
Have a pain in your ankle? There's a good chance it's not actually your ankle that is causing that pain. Applied Kinesiology gets to the root of the issue. Call to make an appointment today!
Accelerated Performance Clinic6805 Flying Cloud Dr, Eden Prairie, MNPHONE NUMBER: (952) 833-3038
After you see him and you go run your next big race and you feel the best you ever have, you may just want to bring him a new race poster for his office walls!
Mile To Marathon is SO excited to announce it's partnership with Skratch Labs! Straight from their mouths (website), Skratch Labs mission is to use real world science and practice to create the very best nutrition products. Products that taste great, that are made from real all-natural ingredients, and that are designed to optimize performance and health for both sport and life. Check out my favorite video from them about their products!
Mile To Marathon athletes will be able to take advantage of team orders 2x per year giving you the opportunity to purchase hydration mixes, bottles, storage containers, t-shirts and even The Feed Zone Cookbook at a significantly reduced price! First team order will take pace in June so stay tuned!
If you're not familiar with their products you will have the opportunity to become familiar with them at some of our upcoming long runs. I will set up water stops with their product, varying flavors from week to week so you can try them out. Start to follow them on twitter @SkratchLabs and on Facebook, you won't be disappointed.
Time to start hydrating with REAL ingredients!
Lifelong runner. Professional and passionate coach helping to make running goals a reality for 30+ years. Let's get started making your running dreams come true!
Connect With Us!
See Us in Action!